Tyra Banks, one of the top models in the country may be able to make you grace the cover of some of the top magazines or make it possible to strut on the runway of the exclusive high fashion world. Here are some of the tips from the famous Tyra Banks.
Model Don’ts (and a Do)
- Understand the importance of your neck in a photograph, try to elongate and give definition to you face and cheek bones.
- Put some energy into your pose, don’t pose like an old person, stretch your spine and don’t slouch.
- Tension in your body is good for poses, always have tension in your pose, from head to toe.
- Move your body when a photographer is shooting but move slightly and try to be creative. If you are not creative, practice in front of a mirror and know what angle is good for you.
- Cleanliness is very important for a good photo. Make sure you are clean and tidy before a photoshoot.
- Sleep well before the shoot, this will make you look and feel refreshed.
- Don’t get disturbed or distracted if a stylist or make up artist is not upto the mark and don’t let it spoil the shoot.
- Eyes are the most important weapon you have to communicate the feeling, so try to be intense with your eyes instead of glazing over.
- While on runway, walk straight with your spine straight and head held high.
- A good personality is a must for a good model, talk to people in the set, make friends.
- Good music in the background while shooting will boost your morale and mood.
Modeling: Breaking Into the Biz
- Have a mentor in the industry, in this age of video and internet, it’s so easy to find a super model you can emulate and study . Notice their cat walk, her make up, the way she dresses and walks, way they turn, how she holds her head, her hands etc.
- Take some good photos of you, preferably a beauty shot from the neck and keep it with you all the time. You can give this to new people you meet in the industry.
- A model should know the industry terms, new fashion, how camera angles works and the effect of lighting on photos.
- While going for a casting, use as little make up as possible to show your natural look.
- Practice your walk in heels and carry them with you all the time. By the way, if you are a model, what are you doing in flats?
- Keep your time.
- Be honest about your experience, an experienced photographer can easily pick up your history in just couple of shots.
- Keep your nails clear or may be glossy. Avoid nail polish.
- Your face should be visible, it’s will be a good idea to go castings with a pony tail.
- Learn to stand upright with straight back and firm shoulders.
- No one’s body is perfect, even every super-model has flaws, don’t be afraid of them, but try to hide them in your pictures. For example, small calves can be hidden by wearing heels. A big forehead can be hidden by lifting the chin up a little.
- A small waist can be accentuated by putting your hands on the hips which will make your waist leaner.
Small bust size can be accentuated by leaning a little forward showing the chest a little.